Great Barrington, MA, US, 01230
Salary $38.70 an hour
The apprentice line classification is comprised of a candidate who has successfully completed the overhead pre-line school and the Test on Record. This will determine if the employee has the ability to progress in the Overhead Lines Department. All other duties usually assigned to this classification.
Candidate must become proficient at climbing poles and working at heights.
- Assist line crews, utilizing line worker tools and equipment to set poles and construct transmission lines.
- Observes, learns and performs duties of Line Worker 3/C under direct supervision.
• Must be able to read, write, and speak English to communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
• Must have high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must successfully complete mechanical aptitude screening (Test on Record).
• Must successfully complete all requirements of the "Pre-Overhead Line School".
• Demonstrate a mechanical aptitude and ability to advance to Line Worker 1/C through progression process.
• Be physically able bodied and must be able to operate safely all Company vehicles, tools and equipment.
• Must be able to bend, lift and shovel dirt around poles.
• Successful completion of pre-line worker qualifying Company programs.
• Must have and retain a valid motor vehicle operator's license, which does not restrict driving of off hours operations. Also, must obtain and retain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with proper endorsements to operate all applicable Company equipment, pass DOT physical and system hoisting certificate.
• Will be required to accept trouble shooters positions, including alternates, when qualified.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Exposure to inclement weather and temperature extremes.
• May be required to work a reasonable amount of planned and emergency overtime making available to supervisor an acceptable means of off-hour contact by telephone.
NOTE: Final awarding of the jobs is contingent upon the applicants' successful completion of "Pre-Overhead Line School" and the Field Assessment Test.
Please be advised that due to the nature of this position, incumbents are subject to federal Drug & Alcohol safety regulations governing US Department of Transportation ("DOT") covered positions, including the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA). As such, the Company’s testing programs and policies regarding the use of federally prohibited drugs or alcohol, for recreational or medical purposes, will remain in effect for these safety-sensitive, DOT covered positions.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Nearest Major Market: Pittsfield