Senior Category Lead (Senior Buyer) - Major projects
Senior Category Lead (Senior Buyer) - Major projects
Warwick, GB, CV34 6DA Bristol, GB, BS2 0TB London, GB, WC2N 5EH Castle Donington, GB, DE74 2TU
Are you a Procurement professional with infrastructure or construction experience? Do you want to join our expanding Global Procurement team and play a key role in the transition to net zero?
Join us as we transform our energy industry!
Life at National Grid
National Grid will be investing over £40bn across our UK and US businesses and our procurement teams will play a significant role in supporting the investment, providing transformational solutions to achieve net zero. And that’s why we’re expanding our team globally with 90 additional roles.
We’re currently a team of over 300 talented professionals that cover a diverse range of categories from Indirect, IT & Digital, Network Operations (Maintenance & Repair) to Construction and Network equipment, with a clear mission: to enable a clean, fair and affordable energy future through commercial, responsible and innovative supply chain leadership.
We embrace flexibility and empower our team to shape their own success with our dynamic hybrid working environment and realise that to be successful we must invest in our people and capabilities.
What you'll do
Working as part of our National Grid Ventures procurement team and reporting into a Project Procurement Manager, you will support our National Grid Ventures and Strategic Infrastructure businesses.
Working on high profile High Voltage Direct Current (HDVC) electrical links you’ll be empowered to bring to life our category strategies through the delivery of tenders and initiatives that will ensure that your stakeholders across the UK and US have the goods and services they need to accelerate the £50bn of investment to upgrade of our networks to meet future energy needs in a decarbonised world.
Value-Driven Strategic sourcing – Lead multiple sourcing events within the category portfolio and ensure the delivery of high-value and complex tenders
Category Management – Play a pivotal role in developing and delivering a category strategy; taking the lead on identifying and executing value initiatives ensuring optimal solutions for National Grid
Supplier management and collaboration – Foster and maintain strong relationships with global suppliers and collaborate with stakeholders building partnerships that encourage innovation and drive value
Procurement advisor – Set the standards for procurement excellence and actively coach and guide other Category Leads (Buyers) and Assistants within the team
What we're looking for
We’re looking for people who can demonstrate creativity and commercial acumen whilst identifying opportunities to drive value and deliver our net zero ambition, and a passion to grow yourself and our business. Someone who;
- Has large scale construction/infrastructure project experience, ideally with understanding of FIDIC contracts.
- Can professionally and articulately manage senior stakeholders on high profile projects, in a complex matrix environment.
- Can effectively communicate, engage, and form dynamic teams with internal stakeholders and external partners building strong working relationships.
- Has significant experience in leading the development and execution of category strategies and management of tendering events.
- Can collate and organise data, analyse commercial issues and bring insight to the detail of costs and contracts.
- Can scope, deliver, and execute robust fit for purpose contractual agreements
- Achievement of a CIPS qualification or working towards is advantageous, but not essential
- Brings prior experience from roles such as Senior Category Lead or Senior Buyer in the renewables, rail, road or other utility industries, including Oil and Gas.
What you'll get
• A competitive salary (reviewed annually) dependent on capability and experience.
• Annual performance incentive
• Access to private medical insurance for you and your family
• A generous pension scheme - we double match your contribution up to 12%.
• 26 days’ annual leave plus the option to buy/sell up to 5 days per year.
• Life insurance – 10 x annual salary
• Flexible benefits (National Grid Share Incentive Plan, Salary Sacrifice car and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity plus many more)
• Ongoing career development and support - Financial support to help cover the cost of professional membership subscriptions and time off for study leave – so long as it’s relevant to your role
• Access to a range of further benefits covering wellbeing, family care, charity involvement
Locations and flexible working
As part of our hybrid working approach where colleagues work flexibly, these roles offer a mix of office working in Warwick and home working. Other office working locations; London, Castle Donnington and Bristol can also be accommodated.
Closing date : 25 February 2024
We are keen to have great people join our team and will be progressing to interviews quickly for those that meet the requirements of the role.
National Grid lies at the heart of the energy industry here in the UK and US.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live.
Our values underpin everything we do, and they inform our decisions, shape our company and are integral to how our customers and communities experience us. We pride ourselves on our values which enable us to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future, and they are:
• Do the right thing – By doing so creates a purpose and belonging, putting our customers first and safe
• Find a better way – When we find a better way, we work together to drive innovation and find solutions for our customers
• Make it happen – We take bold steps and calculated risks to drive action, performance and results
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of who we are and what we do. Our commitment to these values is unwavering and they are central to our mission. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments that you require.
So join us, and find what makes you…