Director of Automation and AI Architecture: Digital Workplace
Director of Automation and AI Architecture: Digital Workplace
Brooklyn, NY, US, 11217 Syracuse, NY, US, 13202 Hicksville, NY, US, 11801 Waltham, MA, US, 02451
Join National Grid’s digital transformation! We are digital creators, continuous learners and daring innovators. We leverage digital innovative ways to create products and catalyze the transformation of National Grid's business units into more agile and digitally native organizations in our shared purpose of bringing energy to life. Come and join us on this incredible journey, We need you!
We want to find an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented Director of Automation and AI Architecture to help develop and evolve our capabilities for the Digital Workplace Services domain in Brooklyn, NY (Candidates may also reside in either Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Maine). These capabilities will allow us to provide an always improving experience to our customers while reducing our costs to serve them. If you yearn to be innovative, contribute new ideas, and play a critical part in our US infrastructure organization, we want to hear from you!
Our vision is to be recognised as a world leading Information Technology and Digital function in the energy sector and a trusted partner across National Grid businesses.
The Director of Automation and AI Architecture is a pivotal leadership role responsible for driving the strategic vision, development, and execution of automation initiatives within the Digital Workplace Services team the success of which will be measured by cost efficiencies and user satisfaction. This role encompasses establishing and implementing a robust software development framework for automation projects, leading a high-performing team of analysts and developers, and ensuring the successful delivery of automation solutions for engineering, operations, and end user request fulfillment for the DWS domain which includes PC/Mobile/Mac/VDI endpoint management; collaboration, conferencing and productivity; digital experience management; and directory services.
What you'll do
As Director of Automation and AI Architecture, you'll play a critical role in shaping the organization's digital future, fostering innovation, and maintaining a relentless focus on delivering high-quality, scalable, and secure automation solutions that align with business objectives. As a key member of the DWS leadership team, you'll drive strategic planning, portfolio management, and ensure the continuous learning and development of the team to stay at the forefront of emerging technologies and industry best practices. Key responsibilities include the following:
• Encourage a culture of innovation within the team, fostering creative solutions and approaches leveraging leading machine learning, AI, scripting and user experience techniques.
- Software Development Process Improvement:
• Lead initiatives to improve and optimize the software development process within the team.
• With product management, maintain and prioritize the automation backlog aligned to business, market, and operational environment requirements.
- Programming/Software Development:
• Provide expert technical guidance on software development best practices.
• Deliver and collaborate with the team on complex coding, testing, and deployment activities.
- Quality Assurance:
• Establish and enforce advanced quality standards for automation code and processes.
• Implement advanced testing and validation processes to ensure reliability.
- Corporate Governance:
• Establish and ensure adherence to appropriate governance arrangements for the effective planning, delivery, and operation of information technology services.
- Solution Architecture:
• Develop and maintain an understanding of the business strategy and objectives.
• Define the principles to guide solution decisions.
• Design and govern coherent solutions that meet organizational objectives.
- Portfolio Management:
• Develop and maintain a strategic view of the organization's automation and AI portfolio.
• Create and deliver to OKRs and KPIs aligned to business objectives.
- Agile Practices:
• Ensure the team follows advanced agile methodologies and toolsets for efficient project delivery.
• Collaborate across IT&D product teams to create and follow best practices for the creation of automation and AI engineering frameworks.
- Strategic Planning:
• Develop and implement a strategic plan for the automation and AI initiatives aligned with business objectives.
- Learning and Development
• Design and deliver effective learning and development programs for the team to keep up with emerging technologies and industry trends.
What you'll need
- Qualifications and Experience
• Proven experience in a similar role within the IT domain.
• Strong technical proficiency in software development and automation technologies including PowerShell and the Power Platform, Service Now, scripting, Python, infrastructure as code, machine learning and emerging AI platforms, concepts and integrations.
• Strong technical proficiency in the Digital Workplace domain: PC, Mac, and Mobile device management and provisioning; O365 tenant administration, Active Directory, and Microsoft Teams.
• Strategic thinking with the ability to align automation initiatives with business objectives.
• Experience with agile methodologies and project management.
• Strong documentation, analytical, logical, presentation and communications skills demonstrated at the post-graduate level.
• Strong problem-solving and analytical abilities.
• Commitment to continuous learning and staying updated on emerging technologies.
• Understanding of cybersecurity, identity, data network principles and best practices.
• Certifications in relevant technologies or project management (e.g., ITIL, PMP, Agile) are a plus.
- Leadership Qualities & Business Skills
• Autonomy: Has defined authority and accountability for actions and decisions within a significant area of work, including technical, financial and quality aspects. Establishes organisational objectives and assigns responsibilities.
• Influence: Influence policy and strategy formation. Initiate influential relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and partners at senior management level, including industry leaders. Lead on collaboration with a diverse range of stakeholders across competing objectives within the organisation. Make decisions which impact the achievement of organisational objectives and financial performance.
• Complexity: Contribute to the development and implementation of frameworks and practices. Perform highly complex work activities covering technical, process engineering and quality aspects. Has deep expertise in own specialism(s) and an understanding of its impact on the broader business and wider customer/organisation.
• Business Skills: Understand and communicate industry developments, and the role and impact of technology.
Balance the requirements of proposals with the broader needs of the organisation.
Promote a learning and growth culture in their area of accountability.
Identify and endorse opportunities to adopt new technologies and digital services.
Creatively apply a wide range of innovative and/or management principles to realise business benefits aligned to the organisational strategy.
Learning and professional development — take the initiative to advance own skills and lead the development of skills required in their area of accountability.
• Knowledge: Promote the application of generic and specific bodies of knowledge in own organization. Develop leadership skills and broaden and deepen their industry or business knowledge.
What you'll get
- Consistent growth potential through company leadership programs
- Competitive compensation package including robust benefits with a yearly bonus
- Numerous wellness programs
- A multitude of company-endorsed community programs to participate in
Are you the right fit for this exciting role? You want to learn more about the position and National Grid's ambitious Digital Transformation? Then let's chat!
Our organization follows a hybrid work structure in our service territory (NY & MA and adjacent states) where employees can work remotely or from the office, as needed. Working from the office is encouraged when working on tasks that require a high degree of collaboration. We work with our employees to foster a work schedule that fits your flexible schedule.
At National Grid, we keep the lights on and homes warm. But it’s so much more than that. We keep people connected and society moving. This is no easy feat, and it takes all of us. But National Grid supplies us with the environment to make it happen. As we generate momentum in the energy transition for all, we don’t plan on leaving any of our customers in the dark. But we aren’t looking for external recognition – we already what we do is vital. We’re building a clean, fair and affordable energy future.
$177,000 - $208,000 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Nearest Major Market: Brooklyn
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City