Senior Substation Engineer
Senior Substation Engineer
Syracuse, NY, US, 13202
National Grid is hiring a Electrical Substation Senior Engineer for our Options Solutions Engineering department in Syracuse, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
To provide technical expertise and support from an engineering perspective to ensure effective National Grid operations.
The Substation Lead Engineer performs a wide range of duties including the Electrical requirement and equipment scoping for small-and large-scale electric substation projects in New York. This will require engagement and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. The Substation Engineer Leads the internal OSE Project team in developing conceptual engineering reports. The Options Solutions Engineeing (OSE) team is responsible for proving the feasibility of proposed options within stage 4.2 Options Solutions Documents (OSDs) and developing a conceptual level scope of work and cost estimate associated with each option.
- Thoroughly investigate the feasibility and cost efficiency of proposed options to satisfy an electrical substation need and outline scope of work and cost for each.
- Independently evaluate, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
- Consults more experienced engineers and supervision concerning a deviation from standard applications.
- Ability to lead team members for projects of low to moderate complexity.
- Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to others to share knowledge and develop technical understanding within discipline. Mentorship of new engineers and interns.
- Utilize and understand National Grid electric standards, drawings and Geographocal Information System (GIS) to aid in the development of scope and feasibility.
- Lead Author in Conceptual Engineering Reports responsible for setting the document up and communicating with other Engineers for input on their perspective sections.
- Complete high level Feasability Reports with input from other disciplines.
- Organize, manage and maintain the schedule of multiple projects running in parallel.
- Maintain the qualification to enter electrical substations including NERC/CIP designations.
- File project documentation and communication per department procedures.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Able to lead and supervise a project team or virtual teams to achieve business objectives.
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited engineering program. Emphasis in electric power is a plus.
- Minimum of six years of experience without PE license or four years with PE license (requirement may also be reduced with appropriate advanced degrees or Certifications in engineering).
- Proficent knowledge of industry standards, safety standards, and existing electrical design codes for Power Substations.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proven interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Professional Engineers (PE) License (or ability to obtain within 1 yr.) is preferred
- Demonstrate excellent time management and prioritization skills on large scale projects involving multiple stakeholder.
- Valid driver's license required with acceptable driving record that meets National Grid’s Safe Driver Policy.
$102,000- $120,000 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Nearest Major Market: Syracuse